Friday, August 22, 2008

Where did the Time Go?

You often hear people complain that there are not enough hours in the day to get things done. As you struggle to finish everything you set out to accomplish in any given day, you find yourself succumbing to the pressures and stress this mindset will bring.

You have to realize that you will never be caught up no matter how long and hard you work. Even when you retire there will always be something on your plate that you feel has to get done. This has been ingrained in our psyche from day one. It all started when you were a kid in school. It wasn’t enough to go to class all day, the teachers felt compelled to give you homework.

I realized this awhile back and decided that I was not going let the burden of unfinished work drag me down. I would create a list, prioritize it, and work to complete my tasks following the order of importance. If something came up that had to be immediately addressed, I just put it at the top of the list and continued on my way. While this didn’t always work to perfection, it did create a mindset that reduced the stress of everyday life. As long as I completed what absolutely had to be completed, I would call it a day and save the rest for another time.

Unfortunately in today’s “get it done yesterday” world of deadlines too many people are swallowed up in jobs that consume them. Bosses forget their employees have an outside life and if you work for yourself your job becomes your life. Just remember, until the day you die, you will always have something to do. If you don't slow down that day may be coming sooner than you think.

No comments: