Friday, April 3, 2009

Are You Linked In?

What does it mean to Linked In? As described on their website: "LinkedIn is an interconnected network of experienced professionals from around the world, representing 170 industries and 200 countries. You can find, be introduced to, and collaborate with qualified professionals that you need to work with to accomplish your goals."

Just as Facebook and Twitter are popular online social networks, LinkedIn is designed to be the ultimate online business network. By adding your experience, skills, and the services/products that you or your company can offer to an online profile, you create the opportunity to network with other people in business through the powers of the Internet.

The big question is how can I make this work for me? I myself joined LinkedIn about six months ago after dragging my feet on exploring the whole concept of online networking. My experience with LinkedIn since then has taught me only one thing; I should have joined the day I started my company.

Like anything else in the world, the more you put into something, the more you will get out of it. Linked In is no different. In order for it to work for you, you have to take advantage of what it has to offer. By no means do I consider myself a Linked In expert, not even close. What I do know is that it can offer something for everyone, no matter what you do. If you need to develop connections across a wide array of industries, then LinkedIn can connect you with thousands of connections in over 170 industries. If you are looking for particular groups that share your common interests, you can find them here. If you do not find one, LinkedIn will help you start one. If you are just trying to get back in touch with past classmates or business associates, LinkedIn can help you reconnect. I'm probably missing some other key networking opportunities they can provide, but hopefully you get my point.

The best aspect of LinkedIn is that it is painfully easy to get started. Simply go to www.linkedin.com ,register for an account and start adding your information. You can build your profile over time and begin to add connections at your own pace. My advice would be to find someone who is already established on LinkedIn to help you with all the finer details. The main thing is to get started and go from there. There is no cost to join so your return on investment will be incredible.

No comments: