Friday, August 8, 2008

The Ever Changing Marketing Plan

The beginning of every year I would work on a comprehensive market plan for our company. This thirty page document covered every aspect of our past year's results and our plans for the coming year. It would take two to three weeks to complete and occupy most of my time for the month of January. The main reason I hated this project was that I knew once it was done, we would never look at it again until the following January.

When I started my own company, I developed a one page marketing plan that basically followed an outline clearly stating my goals and objectives and defining the proper strategies to achieve them. I have redesigned that plan three times already this year and will probably revise it one more time before the end of the year. It is a living, breathing document that holds me accountable for my actions. I change things that aren't working, expand things that are, and have no fear completely changing directions if conditions warrant it.

Fight the temptation to get locked into a plan. Give yourself the freedom and flexibility to change and adapt. Once I got myself out of my old box of sticking to the same tactics whether they moved the dial or not, I became much more effective in my approach to growing my business.

No comments: